Monday, July 04, 2016

30 Days of Love - Day 29: My Personal Experiences, Part Two

Day 29: My Personal Experiences, Part Two

“And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works.” Hebrews 10:24

Several years ago, I came to a crossroads. I hadn’t really been living to serve God, and my life showed it. I was unhappy all the time, and I blamed everyone but myself. Mostly I blamed my husband. Soon we came to a point where we were very close to divorce. I was a wreck. I didn’t know what to do. I was so done with life as it had been up until that point. Only one path seemed to make sense. I cried out to the Lord. I told Him I was done. I was done trying to do things my way. I gave myself back to Him. Even though the weeks that followed were incredibly hard, my marriage was saved.

After coming so close to the brink, I was filled with a lot of fear. I was terrified that we’d just end up in the same boat again. I went looking for answers, and I’m not quite sure when God started leading me toward teaching on walking in love, but I know it happened. I learned that God’s love casts out fear:

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

I started learning that the way I treated others was going to come back to me. I started learning that I had to let go of the past. I started seeing results. They were tiny at first, and quite hard to see if you weren’t paying attention, but I saw it. (My battle buddy helped me to “see” quite often—thank you, BB!)

Oh, I’ve made my share of mistakes since. I just have to remember to repent and get back to it again. There have been a handful of times where realizing how badly I’d been hurting the people I loved gave me such a heartache, but God was always there to show His mercy and show me the path out.

I’ve written this book to you because God doesn’t teach us so we can keep it all to ourselves. He wants me to help you understand that there is hope. There is a way out of your living hell. Call out to Jesus, and do whatever He says!

Homework:

For almost thirty days, because of your study, God’s love has been in the forefront of your thinking. If you’re not diligent to remind yourself of the things you’ve been learning and receiving from God, you’ll lose sight of them (James 1:22-25; Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23). There are many ways you could go about reminding yourself regularly. One of my favorite ways is to print things out and put them up on the fridge. Do what works for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment